segunda-feira, 13 de abril de 2009

upcoming birthday

That's right, you guessed it... my birthday is next Monday. Gifts, however, are already starting to arrive! Some nice chocolates and Easter almonds from Arcadia, a homemade chocolate cake to sweeten my mouth; and one very classy set, polo and pullover, to make me more fashion... not to mention my Easter rabbit and a nice postcard from Leça (onde o mundo começa...).


The bag of almonds must have opened during the long journey, and the cake is a bit crushed (very appropriately it now looks like a big donut), but all in all it's very tasty, and that's what matters. Mom, Dad: thank you very much!

Speaking of transportation... I was thinking about sending a couple of good California wine bottles to some friends and family who I know would appreciate it, but it turns out to be illegal to transport alcohol through postal service. The USPS simply don't do it. The private carriers don't really care about that and they even told me how to do it, simply fill in the customs form declaring it has being vinegar. If, however, they decided to open the package it would be seized, and probably a complaint would be filed against me... Oh well, if only mr. Capone was alive. I bet he could help me out!
Besides I went to on of those private carriers to ask for an estimate to send a six-bottle package of "vinegar" to Portugal and it would cost me around 250 USD. No budget for that! Sorry.
I guess this is one more reason for you to come and visit me!

Meanwhile, and to satisfy peoples curiosity concerning my car, I took my laptop (this is the only camera I have for the moment) outside to capture some images, and here it is. Nothing extraordinary... it's just to give you folks an insight.
Gas is a bit more cheap here; I've filled the tank with a little bit over 20 dollars. Not bad, ha?


Getting back to the subject, I'm not going to be upset if people don't call me in the 20th. Honestly. But because some folks have been asking for my number here it is: +1 858 220 4574. And please remember there is an eight hour time difference. So, PLEASE, DO NOT call me before 4pm (Portugal's time, this would be 8am California time). A suggestion I make for those that would like to say hello on my birthday is to simply leave a post here. I promise to read them all and reply thankfully.

Last but not least, this upcoming weekend I'm traveling to LA. There's a Portuguese American Post-graduate Society (PAPS) forum taking place there. I'll be staying at Jorge's place. Spanish nice chap that I met at Alcatel-Lucent who is now living in LA.
Jorge, if you're reading this: thanks again mate, for you kind offer!

2 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Estamos a ver que já estamos em grandes preparativos para o dia 20 :) Pena não podermos estar todos ai para faze uma grande festança com o "Zé que nos faz falta"...
(definitivamente a máquina faz falta... vê lá s esta semana tratas do assunto :))
Beijinhos
Maria Ana SG

Anónimo disse...

Grande Zé... estás a ver... a vantagem de saber quando fazes anos? pelo menos no dia procuro saber como andas!!!! LOL
Rapaz, tenho lido, ainda que não comentado o blog... mas não podia de dar-te os parabéns pelo teu birthday. Alguma visita a Portugal eminente, ou vais-me obrigar a ir ai? forte abraço. André Soares