quarta-feira, 5 de setembro de 2012

Incoming call

today as I was walking towards my afternoon coffee, my phone started ringing. I picked up the call, and here is what happened next:

Me- Hello... who's this?
Operator- Hello sir, this is 911. We had a phone call from this number just now. Is everything OK?
M- well ... yes... but... how was that?... I didn't call anyone!
O- That's OK sir. Are you able to speak now?
M- Yes
O- Where are you at, sir?
M- I am at UC San Diego
O- Can you be more specific, please. Where exactly in UC San Diego?
M- aahhh... in a coffee shop
O- In what coffee shop, sir?
M- in the Mandeville auditorium
O- in which room exactly are you in sir?

(a lot more calm, I was now almost laughing with the questions from the other side of the line. This could be a prank call, I thought!)

M- I'm actually just outside the auditorium. In the "Art of espresso"
O- OK. Sir, what is your last name?
M- (spelling) P-E-R-E-I-R-A. First name J-O-S-E
O- Thank you. We're gonna send someone over to check on you, sir; please standby.
M- well ... OK, I guess. Bye
(hangup)

I ordered my coffee, had a few laughs about all this situation with my friend, we both agreed this would never happen in Portugal or India. And 7 minutes later, there was a cop arriving to the "Art of espresso". I waved at him and he approached me

Me- Hi! ... are you here because of that 911 call?
Cop- Yes. What is your name, sir?
M- Sorry, I don't know what happened to my phone. I guess I dialed 911 inadvertently. Jose Pereira
C- That's OK, it happens sometimes. Do you have some photo id with you, sir?
(showed him my driver's license)
C- thank you. Are you able to speak freely, sir?
M- Yes
C- Are you being held-up against your will?
M- No
C- Alright sir. Thank you for your time. Have a good afternoon!
M- Likewise. Sorry for the mess...


3 comentários:

Anónimo disse...

Quase que ias de cana, jovem! Esta dá para os netos, bónas!
Gd abraço.
ML

Anónimo disse...

Olha lá José, de certo que conferiste o telefone... e?

ML

Zé Maria disse...

efectivamente, no meu telefone ha um botao que liga para as emergencias. Mesmo com o telefone bloqueado... uups :)